Reader question About PowerPoint Custom Shows"At times, I don't want to show the whole presentation to the audience. How do I show only a few slides from the main presentation?"
Here is the scenario -
Next week you must give a large presentation to Mr. Bigwig in your company. However, prior to that date, you are presenting only portions of the whole presentation to different departments in your company. You do not want to have to copy over slides to create separate presentations for each department. The solution is to create different Custom shows from the main presentation, selecting only the slides that are appropriate for each group.
Benefits of Using a PowerPoint Custom ShowThis is a win-win situation for everyone because -
- It requires far less work for you because you don't have to create several similar presentations.
- The amount of space needed on your computer or the network server is less, because all the different presentations stem from only one file.
Create a Basic Custom Show in PowerPoint 2007>> Step by Step Walkthrough with Screenshots
- Decide on which slides in the main presentation are appropriate for this custom show.
- On the Slide Show tab of the ribbon click on the Custom Slide Shows button and select Custom Shows... from the drop down list.
- In the Custom Shows dialog box, click on the New... button.
- In the Slide show name text box, type a name for this custom show.
- All the slides in the complete presentation are shown in the left pane of the Define Custom Show dialog box. Click on one slide that you wish to be part of the custom show and then click on the Add >> button.
- To select several slides that are listed in consecutive order, click the first slide, then hold the SHIFT key and click on the last slide in the group. This will select a block of slides which you can then add all at once to the custom show.
- To select several slides from the list that are not sequential in the list, click the first slide and then hold the CTRL key, while you click on the rest of the selected slides. Add those slides to the custom show all at once.
- To change the order of any of the slides in the custom show list, select one slide and use the arrow keys on the right to move that slide either up or down in the list. Repeat this process for other slides if necessary.
- When all slides have been selected for this custom show, click OK.
- In the Custom Shows dialog box, click the Show button to preview your custom show or click the Close button to return to your presentation.
Related - Hyperlink to a PowerPoint Custom Show
Play a Basic Custom Show in PowerPoint 2007
- Open the main presentation.
- Click on the Slide Show tab of the ribbon.
- Click on the Custom Slide Show button.
- Select the custom show in the list.
- The custom show will start up in full screen.