"My desktop at work can be accessed by a few people and I don't want them in my presentations."
Note - Click here for Password Protection in PowerPoint 2003 (and earlier).
Password protection is applied differently in PowerPoint 2007 than in earlier versions, but it is just as easy. It is simply a matter of knowing where to look.
- Click the Office button in the top left corner of the screen
- Choose Save As.
- In the bottom left corner of the Save As dialog box, click on the Tools button.
- Choose General Options ....
There are two password options available for you to add to your presentation.
- Password to Open
- This is a security feature that will encrypt your presentation and allow you to control who has access to the file.
- Password to Modify
- Sometimes you can allow others to see the presentation, but do not want any alterations made. By adding a password to this box, no one can make any changes to the presentation, without first entering the password.
You can choose to apply either of these password protection options, or both to your presentation. However, be aware that if you forget these passwords, even you will be unable to get back into the presentation.