Unlike Microsoft Word, PowerPoint does not give you the option to set the default font (in the text placeholders) with a single click of a button. So if you wish to make a permanent change to the default font style and or size, you need to do a few extra steps.
Each time you start PowerPoint, the plain, white slide appears for you to begin. The default font in PowerPoint 2007 is Calibri. This is the default design template for any new presentation. But what if your company has a set font that must be used on every presentation? Wouldn't it be nice if you did not have to take that extra step each time you began a new presentation?
Save the Original Default Template
Before you start making any changes, you should probably make a copy of the original plain, white default template.
- Open PowerPoint.
- Click the Office button > Save As....
- In the Save As dialog box, click the drop down arrow beside Save as type:
- Choose PowerPoint Template (*.potx)
- The saving location will immediately change to the folder where PowerPoint 2007 stores its templates. Do not change this location or PowerPoint will not know where to look for the file if you choose to use it again.
- Name the file old blank (or something similar). The original default design template is called blank, hence my very creative new name for the file. PowerPoint will add the file extension .POTX to the file so it will know that this is a template file and not a presentation (.PPTX) file.
- Save and close the file.
Create a Presentation with the New Default Fonts
- Open a new, blank PowerPoint presentation.
- Click on the View tab of the ribbon.
- Click on the Slide Master button. The slide master will open revealing thumbnail versions of all the different slide layout templates in the Slides/Outline pane.
- Click on the first (the largest) slide thumbnail. Making changes to this slide template will affect all of the slide templates, so you do not have to change them all individually.
- Make any font changes you prefer to the text box placeholder(s).
- Click on the Close Master View button.
Save the New Default Template
- Select the Office button > Save As. The Save As dialog box will open.
- In the Save as type: text box, click the drop down arrow and choose PowerPoint Template (*.potx) as the file type.
- In the File name: text box type blank as the file name.
- Note - The file name MUST be called blank in order for this to become the default start up template.
- Click the Save button to apply these changes. (Agree to overwrite the original file if prompted.)
The next time you open PowerPoint 2007, you will see your font formatting as the new, blank design template and you are ready to start adding your content.
Related Article - Time-Saving Tips for PowerPoint 2007