A question from a reader:
Is there a way to toggle to other programs while showing a presentation in OpenOffice Impress? It seems possible in PowerPoint but I haven't figured out if it can be done in Impress?
This question applies not only to OpenOffice Impress but to any open program on a Windows computer. As we all know, you may be running several programs at the same time. Windows keeps track of all these programs and allows you to switch to another by clicking on the link in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. So far so good.
But what happens when you are watching something in 'full screen'? In that case, the taskbar is no longer visible. So how do you switch to a different program or window? This is where knowing some shortcut keys comes in handy.
A presentation is currently showing in 'full screen' and you want to quickly switch to a different program for an illustration.
- Hold down the Alt key on the keyboard.
- Keep the Alt key depressed while you press the Tab key once.
- The screen will switch to a different program or open window.
- A toolbar will appear in the middle of the screen showing all the open current windows containing either active programs or simply other open windows, such as a list of files or folders within a specific folder.
- If this new screen shows the program you want to use, let go of the Tab key. If not, then press the Tab key once again. Repeat this practice until the desired program or window appears.
- When you wish to return to the original screen, repeat this whole sequence again until the desired screen shows.
Read more on Alt + Tab Fast Switching in Windows