Here is a quick list of the 9 most common terms used in Open Office Impress and other presentation software. A great tool for those new to presentation software.Using Other Presentation Software?
- The 10 Most Common PowerPoint 2007 Terms
- The 10 Most Common PowerPoint Terms
- Common Terms Used in Windows Movie Maker
1. Slide - Slide ShowEach page of a OpenOffice Impress presentation is called a slide. The default orientation of the slide is in landscape layout, which means that the slide is 11" wide by 8 1/2" tall. Text, graphics and/or pictures are added to the slide to enhance its appeal.
Think back to the days of the old fashioned slide show, using a slide projector. Open Office Impress is an updated version of that kind of slide show. Slide shows can be comprised of text and graphic objects or be completely covered by a single picture, to make a photo album, for example.
2. Bullet or Bulleted List SlideBullets are small dots, squares, dashes or graphic objects that begin a short descriptive phrase.
The Title and Text slide layout, or as it is more commonly called, the bulleted list slide is used to enter key points or statements about your topic. When creating the list, hitting the Enter key on the keyboard adds a new bullet for the next point you want to add.
3. Design TemplateThink of design templates as a coordinated packaged deal. When you decorate a room, you use colors and patterns that all work together. A design template acts in much the same way. It is created so that even though different slide types can have different layouts and graphics, the whole presentation goes together as an attractive package.
Applying a Design Template to Your OpenOffice Impress Presentation
4. Slide Layouts - Slide TypesThe terms slide type or slide layout can be used interchangeably. There are several different types of slides / slide layouts in OpenOffice Impress. Depending on the type of presentation you are creating you may use several different slide layouts or just keep repeating the same few.
Slide types or layouts include -
- title slides
- title and text slides
- content slides (for adding a chart, picture or table for example)
- and more
Slide Layouts in OpenOffice Impress
5. Slide Views
- Normal View - is also commonly known as Slide View. It is the main working window in the presentation. The slide is shown full size on the screen.
- Outline View - shows all the text of all slides, in a list on the left of the OpenOffice Impress screen. No graphics are shown in this view. Outline View is useful for editing purposes and can be exported out as a Word document to use as a summary handout.
- Handouts View - This view shows miniature versions of your slides on the page. You can choose from five different layout options for the handouts pages.
- Notes Pages - shows a smaller version of a slide with an area underneath for notes. Each slide is created on its own notes page. The speaker can print these pages out to use as a reference while making his presentation. The notes do not show on the screen during the presentation.
- Slide Sorter View - is a window in Open Office Impress that displays thumbnail versions of all your slides, arranged in horizontal rows. This view is useful to make global changes to several slides at one time. Rearranging or deleting slides is easy to do in Slide Sorter view.
Different Ways to View Slides in OpenOffice Impress
6. Task PaneLocated on the right side of the screen, the task pane changes to show options that are available for the current task that you are working on. For example, when choosing a new slide, the Slide Layout task pane appears; when choosing a design template, the Slide Design task pane appears, and so on.
7. TransitionsSlide transitions are the visual movements as one slide changes to another. There are dozens of different options to choose from for how your slide will appear on the screen.
8. AnimationsIn OpenOffice Impress, animations are visual effects applied to individual items on the slide such as graphics, titles or bullet points, rather than to the slide itself.
Preset visual effects can be applied to paragraphs, bulleted items and titles from a variety of animation groupings, namely Subtle, Moderate and Exciting.
Add Animations to Open Office Impress Slides
9. Slide MasterThe default design template when starting a OpenOffice Impress presentation, is a plain, white slide. This plain, white slide is the Slide Master. All slides in a presentation are created using the fonts, colors and graphics in the slide master. Each new slide that you create takes on these aspects.