1. Computing
I get emails quite regularly from people who have received a PowerPoint slide show (filename.pps), rather than a PowerPoint presentation file (filename.ppt). The slide show begins immediately when they double click on the file icon. The presentation is filled with lovely music, but they can't figure out how to get the embedded music out of the slide show to keep on their computer. So, how do you do this?

Converting the slide show to HTML format will extract all the objects that are embedded in the show. This article will quickly show you the steps. Extract Sounds Embedded in PowerPoint Slide Shows

Related
Music and Sound Problems in PowerPoint
Save PowerPoint Presentations as Web Pages
Comments
December 19, 2008 at 7:25 pm
(1) catherine says:

I’ve followed your instruction to extract music from PPT. I did find the file “sound001.wav”; however, when I double-click on it, it right away jumps to “End of Playback”. The detail of the file shows it has 646 KB and it’s a Winamp media file.

Could you please tell me how to extract the music because I still can’t hear any sound out of it, but the music is in the powerpoint slide show. Thanks.

December 26, 2008 at 12:34 pm
(2) Wendy says:

Catherine,
If you double click on the WAV file and it opens in WinAmp that is because WinAmp is set on your computer as the default program to play a WAV file. Perhaps try opening another music program such as Windows Media Player or RealPlayer and then open the sound file from within the program, rather than double clicking on it to open.

December 31, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(3) J. says:

I have successfully used Wendy’s method for extracting sound files from pps files a number of times, but today when I tried to save a recently received pps as html PowerPoint gave me an error message that reads, “PowerPoint found an error that it can’t correct. You should save presentations, quit, and then restart PowerPoint.” Does anyone know what could be wrong? I’m using PowerPoint 2000 and, as I mentioned, I have successfuly extracted music files using these instructions previously.

Thank you for your help.

January 1, 2009 at 9:11 am
(4) Wendy says:

First I would try a reboot of the computer to clear the error messages in RAM and try again. Following that, I would do a Windows update.

Microsoft has recently made several patches to their programs. I got a Windows update notification today with several new ones. Perhaps one of these fixes might solve the problem. Also, since you are using PowerPoint 2000, it is possible that Microsoft is no longer making patches for this version and you may have to update your version of Office/PowerPoint.

March 27, 2009 at 10:58 am
(5) Anonymous says:

You could simply bypass all of that by changing the file extension to (.ppt) instead of (.pps) as the only difference between a power-point show and a power-point presentation is the way powerpoint opens the file.

July 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm
(6) Ali says:

Thanks much!. I looked in other sites which would offer me special tools to extract the sound. Your way is much better! Thanks.

September 28, 2009 at 5:05 am
(7) Ydnew says:

I wanted to extract a beautiful song (Ernesto Cortazar – Autumn Rose) from a pps and today it worked for me also. If you didn’t heard this melody I offer you a moment of joy in return for your tip. Thanks Wendy !

July 6, 2010 at 1:26 pm
(8) HolySnowman says:

Thank you, Wendy! I’ve been trying to figure out how to extract these sound files for years. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. Much appreciated. God bless!

November 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm
(9) Amy says:

Hi,

I used Wendy’s method for extracting the audio files from a powerpoint. However after doing this and trying to play the audio file, it starts a screeching noise a few seconds into the file.

Any suggestions?

THanks!

Amy

March 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(10) Ray says:

Using your method I was successful in extracting the music file from a pps slide show. The file name is sound001.wav
Is there a way to find out name of the album or name of the artist of this music? I would like to purchase the entire song and or the album by this artist.
Thank you for your help.
Ray

March 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(11) presentationsoft says:

Ray,

Since all sounds that are extracted are given names sound001.wav, sound002.wav etc, there is no way to know the actual name of the sound. What I would do is make a web search of some of the lyrics of the song and that will likely yield the name of the music.

March 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm
(12) catwalker says:

Hi, Wendy,

Thanks, this is all great information. I am sorry to learn that PowerPoint renames the sound files and apparently discards the original file names, as that prevents me from checking that the demo sound on the slide is the correct one.

I’d love to hear if there is a way around this. Unfortunately, I have lots of sound samples that are intended to show subtle differences in processing, and it is sometimes hard to tell which one is there just by listening.

May 6, 2012 at 11:17 am
(13) metti says:

Hi Wendy
thank you very very much for your help.
I had a pps file that I Liked so much its music and now I have it!

July 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm
(14) Dejko says:

Thanks this helped me a lot!

April 11, 2013 at 11:38 pm
(15) Sarah says:

One thing that I would add that was not immediately obvious to me, using Windows 7, is that the default setting is to hide the file name extensions (the .ppsx). Without that setting off, merely changing the file names does nothing to change the file. Before converting to a .zip file, you need to change the settings to display the file extensions. Afterward, it’s easy to change back.

Refer to this article to Show PowerPoint file extensions.